Friday 4 May 2018

Look up at the rooftops...

                  ...when you're walking round...
                       Don't think for a moment...
                  Of looking down
                                  On the wings of a Dove, G McPherson, C Smyth

0415 - 0600 still, cool to warm, clear

It as still dark when I got to site, though dawn was clearly about to break...today was about sorting out the Nightingales....

I past years there have been one or two nearer the parking spot, so you can hear them singing when you get out the car....this year there are none by the metal kissing gate on the eastern side so its a bit of a walk before any can be heard....

Anyway....hear them I did...stand alone song in the semi light...or is it semi dark?....when dawn actually broke for real of course the rest of the birds shuffled out of bed and joined in with their noisy neighbours....are Nightingales the reckless, noisy juveniles playing loud music on the corner all night?....

So I think I have found 11 again....though one was either very quiet when I walked past initially...or was out on the town of late out of slumber....a quick tour round the likely places and this years total seems to be set...

Luckily I wandered past where I commenced counting.....as I was listening to the late comer giving it his all the delicate sounds of Turtle Dove was heard....fabulous....only just arrived...of course the hope is that they remain on site and breed here rather than moving off, but only time will tell and as I said, its early days for them....

No comments:

Post a Comment