Tuesday 11 April 2017

Nightingale.....s

0530 - 0730 clear, bright, cool but warming

Moon does set...early in the morning...

Having been told yesterday that a Nightingale had arrived and was singing at Whetsted...I was super keen to get out this morning to find it for myself and listen...

................Thy liquid notes that close the eye of Day...........
                                             John Milton

Initially I found one at the quarry so assumed that this bird had simply moved a few hundred metres from where it had been reported yesterday....I spent a jolly 30 minutes wandering around to gain a vantage point to listen and perhaps to see....I even climbed Linnet Mountain which I have only ever done once before...all to no avail as this bird has well and truly buried itself in the scrub....but nice listening to it...

So I headed off to the corner of Jackdaw field where I had been told the bird was....and hey ho...another bird...so two must have arrived....fabulous....this bird was keen to sit out in the open for a short period and sing loudly....fabulous views....I forgot my camera....gain....doh!

Having enjoyed this bird for 20 minutes or so I decided to meander round the other potential hotspots to check out anything else....the Cettis Warbler sang and, for the first time since its arrival, gave decent views in its damp woodland home....

I found a couple of new Willow Warblers in places though todays total count was 8....I didn't do the entire site...the Cuckoo was sounding off, this time much more along the north side of the site.

A new Whitethroat was a great treat and the other one, opposite warbler corner, was singing nicely.

1 comment: